[CentOS-promo] Timing: Re: CentOS Stream 9 "launch" promotion

Tue Nov 9 00:59:58 UTC 2021
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 6:32 PM Alain Reguera Delgado
<alain.reguera at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 2021-11-08 at 15:32 -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > It looks like all of the pieces are in place. We have the blog post
> > staged and the content for centos.org/stream9 is in Git at
> > https://git.centos.org/fork/rbowen/centos/centos.org/blob/stream9-launch/f/stream9.md
> >
> > I would like to propose that we plan to go live early next week. That
> > gives a few more days for people to look over everything.
> >
> > It also allows us to avoid a conflict/overlap with the RHEL 9 Beta
> > messaging push. We don't want to imply either that the RHEL 9 Beta is
> > tied in any way to this "launch", nor do we want either to upstage,
> > or be upstaged by, that messaging.
>
> +1
>
> > Does this work for everyone. Alain, in particular, are you ready to
> > push the new design that soon?
>
> Yes, Sr., I am. My intention is to have these changes ready in their
> repos the next Monday or Tuesday.
>
> FYC: The CentOS Stream 9 distribution (desktop) isn't presenting the
> backgrounds yet, nor the correct visual information in the browser's
> default web page; although they are both available in the respective
> source repos. These are major issues if we want to avoid visual
> "disconnection" between websites and distribution.
>
> > Related: I got word back from the Red Hat Brand team (as I have noted
> > here: https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issue/4) and they encourage
> > us to go ahead and use the new logo wherever we wish, even prior to
> > any formal mark registration.
>
> This is a 5x5 "Go". So, resuming the actions to be done:
>
> 1. Update centos-logos and centos-indexhtml source repos to include the
> new logo and update the browser default web page's content. With these
> changes in place, the next compose should produce the packages with the
> logo and we will see it in the distribution after running the "dnf
> update" command or installing directly the new ISO file.
>
> 2. Check the distribution is aligned with its visual presentation (it
> provides both new logo and desktop backgrounds).

We also need to set the LOGO= value in os-release to
"fedora-logo-icon" so that the correct item is picked up by desktop
environments.

It would also be a good opportunity to try to make sure we have the
assets in place so that desktops in EPEL actually have the things they
need to be able to pick up branding like they do on Fedora.