[CentOS-promo] February newsletter draft

Tue Feb 8 17:44:23 UTC 2022
Shaun McCance <shaunm at redhat.com>

It occurs to me that Rich has sent a monthly newletter draft here, and
therefore so should I. I'm already a day late, so not much review time.
Sorry for that. I'm missing three SIG reports, which I'll just cut out
if they don't come. One of them is this very SIG. It occurs to me that
I should probably be writing that myself. Not sure how well I can sum
up the last quarter.

Here's the draft, pasted as raw markdown:

# February 2022 Newsletter

## Project News

FIXME

### FOSDEM Dojo

CentOS hosted its annual
[https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/FOSDEM2022](FOSDEM Dojo). This
Dojo was once again virtual. If you missed the Dojo, or you just want
to watch it again, all of the videos (and some of the slides) are
available on the [https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/FOSDEM2022](Dojo
wiki page).

Also, Aleksandra Fedorova gave a talk at FOSDEM called
[https://fosdem.org/2022/schedule/event/centos_stream_stable_and_continuous/](CentOS
Stream: stable and continuous). This excellent talk went into details
of how CentOS is actually built.

### CentOS Linux 8

Following on the EOL of CentOS Linux 8 last year, the packages for
CentOS Linux 8 were removed from the mirror network and placed in the
vault at the end of January. If you still need to migrate from CentOS
Linux 8 to CentOS Stream 8, see the
[https://www.centos.org/centos-stream/](updated instructions on
centos.org).

## SIG Reports

[Special Interest Groups](https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup)
(SIGs) are the most interesting part of the CentOS project - this is
where people build value on top of the CentOS platform. SIGs report
quarterly on what they've been up to. Here are this month's reports.

### Alt Arch

FIXME

### Cloud

#### Purpose

The [https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud](Cloud SIG) is
responsible for packaging and maintaining different FOSS based Private
cloud infrastructure applications that one can install and run natively
on CentOS.

#### Releases and Packages

**Retirement of CentOS 8**

The Cloud SiG has been working on the removal of all jobs and
repositories that were utilizing CentOS 8 and moving any remaining jobs
to CentOS Stream 8.

**Preparation for CentOS Stream 9**
The Cloud SIG has been working with the OpenStack Technical Committee
and community to coordinate the Yoga release, planned for March 2022,
to be on CentOS Stream 9. To achieve this goal, some preparations tasks
are being carried out in the RDO Project:

- OpenStack dependencies have been built for CentOS Stream 9 and
preparation to build OpenStack Yoga versions is in progress.
- Those packages are being validated to find potential issues early,
report them, and propose fixes when possible.
- Coordination with upstream projects that require relevant changes to
support the new CentOS Stream.

#### Meetings and communication

The periodic meeting has been rescheduled from the first Thursday of
the month to the second Thursday of the month at 1500 UTC in #centos-
meeting. This move was made to alleviate a scheduling overlap with the
Fedora Cloud SiG and encourage cross project collaboration.

### NFV

FIXME

### Promo

FIXME

### Storage

#### Purpose

The [https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage](Storage SIG)
is a collection of like-minded individuals coming together to ensure
that CentOS is a suitable platform for many different storage
solutions. This group will ensure that all Open Source storage options
seeking to utilize CentOS as a delivery platform have a voice in
packaging, orchestration, deployment, and related work.

#### Package Updates

**CentOS 7:**
- NFS-Ganesha-4.0 and (lib)ntirpc-4.0 have been released.

**CentOS 8:**
- NFS-Ganesha-4.0 and (lib)ntirpc-4.0 have been released.
- Have asked for build+release of centos-release-ceph-quincy for the
upcoming release.
- Have asked for build+release of centos-release-nfs-ganesha4.

**CentOS Stream 8:**
- Ceph Pacific and the related cephadm package v16.2.7 has been
released
- NFS-Ganesha-4.0 and (lib)ntirpc-4.0 have been released.
- Have asked for build+release of centos-release-ceph-quincy for the
upcoming release.
- Have asked for build+release of centos-release-nfs-ganesha4.

**CentOS Stream 9:**
- Ceph Pacific and the related cephadm package v16.2.7 has been
released
- NFS-Ganesha-4.0 and (lib)ntirpc-4.0 have been released.
- Centos-release-storage-common, centos-release-ceph-pacific, and
centos-release-ceph-quincy have been released.
- Centos-release-nfs-ganesha4 has been released.

**Misc:**
- cephadm subpackage was unbundled from ceph on stream-9 to support
ceph's upstream CI facility. Francesco Pantano (fmount) builds the
cephadm package.
- The OpenStack upstream CI promoted Ceph pacific v16.2.7 on both
stream-8 and stream-9 with the related cephadm version.

### Messaging

#### Purpose

The [https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Messaging](Messaging
SIG) is responsible for packaging and maintaining messaging related
projects to be consumed e.g by the OpsTools SIG or the Cloud SIG.

#### Membership Update

No change. As always, more hands would be helpful.

#### Overall update

We have rebuilt and refreshed packages for CentOS Stream 8.

#### Issues for the Board

None to bring forward at the moment.