[CentOS-promo] Proposal for a public budget process

Thu Oct 13 18:19:12 UTC 2022
Shaun McCance <shaunm at redhat.com>

Hi promo friends,

I've been working on a proposal to put the Promo SIG in charge of some
budget for events. The always current proposal is on HackMD:

https://hackmd.io/@shaunm/r1z7Y4Tyi

Snapshot of the markdown pasted here for your convenience:

# CentOS Promo Events

This is a draft proposal to give the CentOS Promo SIG decision-making
power over a portion of the CentOS budget for events. To ensure some
authority and accountability, the Promo SIG would appoint from among
its members a Promo Event Committee (PEC).

## Budget

At the beginning of each calendar year, the PEC would set a budget for
the year. This can be done by listing interesting events and estimating
expenses, but funding requests would not have to be tied to the
specific events used for budgeting. Some padding should be added to
accommodate additional events. The PEC should engage the entire Promo
SIG, as well as the wider community, when creating a budget.

The PEC budget would come out of the Red Hat budget for the CentOS
Community Architect, part of the Open Source Program Office. The
Community Architect would not use the PEC budget for their own travel
expenses, and they may have expenses outside the PEC.

## Expenses

Expenses would be in three categories:

* Sponsorship -- Sponsoring events for publicity or a booth
* Swag -- Creating new swag or shipping swag to events
* Travel -- Paying travel and lodging (not meals or other expenses) to
send people to events

All requests for CentOS budget should go thru the PEC, including travel
funding for Red Hat associates (but excluding the Community Architect's
own travel).

## Process

The PEC would create a GitLab project and track requests as issues
(propose gitlab.com/CentOS/promo/events). Each funding request would be
filed as an issue, and we would have templates to ensure we get all the
information we need. The PEC would then decide on the issue with two
upvotes (or by a different process the PEC decides on), and the
Community Architect would handle the logistics. The Community Architect
retains the right to veto if Red Hat is unable to provide funding, and
the Community Architect may also fast track a yes.

This process is intended to be public, but if anybody needs some level
of privacy, they may file the issue as private and explain their
reasoning.

Requests to fund the travel of employees of governments and state-owned
agencies must be approved by Red Hat Legal, which the Community
Architect would coordinate. Approvals for these cases are likely to be
extremely rare.

We would use a file in this repository to track budget against approved
and actual expenses.

After the event, the requestor or a sponsored person would be required
to write an event report. (This requirement might be waived for small
swag shipments.) We would provide a template for event reports.