[CentOS-virt] Problem with foreign-language keyboard

James Wilde James.Wilde at bredband.com
Mon Dec 3 09:00:14 UTC 2007

I am testing Xen on a Centos5 machine.  On this machine, the locale is
en_US.UTF-8 and the keyboard is Sweden.  Everything works fine.

I have created a guest operating system (I'm using vmware terminology, as I
am still confused about DomU and Dom0).  The guest is also Centos5.
According to the configuration files, the locale on the guest is also
en_US.UTF-8 and the keyboard Sweden.

However, in the guest, only the alphanumeric keys (a-z, 0-9) work as
intended.  The numeric keyboard does not appear to work at all.  And the
non-alphanumeric keys on the alpha keyboard do not produce the symbols they
should provided with the Swedish keyboard.  There is no key, for example,
which produces the hyphen, which means that it is impossible to enter a
parameter to a command, such as ls -la.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar difficulty and found a solution.
It doesn't have to be a solution for the Swedish keyboard.  Just a pointer
or hint would be appreciated.

I'm not too familiar with Centos, which I installed on this test machine
because of other dependencies, as we are a Solaris shop and my personal
workstation is Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

//James