[CentOS-virt] Virtual Box Host Networking problems

Sat Nov 10 06:20:32 UTC 2007
Todd and Margo Chester <ToddAndMargo at verizon.net>

Dear Centos-Virt:

This is actually a second request for help on the
same issue.  I finally got to try what several
months ago was replayed to me and no joy was to
be had.  I am afraid the original thread got stale
and also had extra, unnecessary data in it.

Guest=XP Pro, SP2
Host=CentOS5; # uname -r; 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5

VirtualBox-1.5.0_24069_rhel5-2.i586.rpm
http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.0/VirtualBox-1.5.0_24069_rhel5-1.i586.rpm.run

I have two nic: eth0 is the internal network; eth1 connects to a DSL modem.

I also have a fully functioning DHCP server on eth0 (works perfectly
with Parallels for Linux).

The directions (from hell):
http://www.virtualbox.org/download/UserManual.pdf

I am trying to set up a "host interface" network between
my XP guest and my Linux host (eth0).

I do believe I don't have a clue as to how to set up
a bridge on eth0.  Here is what I have so far:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ifcfg-br0:

DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.255.255
IPADDR=192.168.255.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.255.10
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=no

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.255.255
IPADDR=192.168.255.12
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.255.10
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=no
BRIDGE=br0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ifcfg-vbox0:

DEVICE=vbox0
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.255.255
IPADDR=192.168.255.14
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.255.10
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=no
BRIDGE=br0

When I fire up Virtual Box, my DCHP server
offers it an IP, but I do not see the RX
light flashing on my XP monitor icon in the
far right of the status bar.  VB doesn't
get an IP.  If I configure the VB NIC with
a static address (I tried 192.168.255.20),
again no receive light and the network
won't work.

Also,  I have to "ifdown eth1" and "ifup eth1"
to get the "G" (gateway) to show up on
"netstat -rn".  Otherwise, no surfing the
net with Firefox (Linux version).  Weird.

I am so very confused.  Can someone tell
me what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-T