[CentOS-virt] Xen/VMWare Server comparison and "best Xen practices"?

Mon Oct 15 23:16:49 UTC 2007
Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org>

Kai,

----- "Kai Schaetzl" <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info, but it's really that I want to use unchanged
> CentOS 5. One of the reasons of using CentOS 5 is the easy maintainability
> and I  would loose this when going to a system where I need to replace or
> patch the kernel.

If you were addressing this to me and my mentioning of using OpenVZ's third-party repo... I agree with you completely regarding the desire to retain the ease of maintainence.

Just to clarify, the OpenVZ folks do maintain several kernel trees including those based on RHEL4 and RHEL5 kernels... and (to the best of my knowledge) plan to do so for some time to come although I haven't seen any promises in writing.  See my previous post to this mailing list for more info.

While the OpenVZ project doesn't release a new build every time there is a CentOS kernel update, they do release quite frequently and do incorporate all security and bug fixes available within a reasonable timeframe of their releases... although there is plenty of room for disagreement there on the word "reasonable".   It would be another reason to prefer a CentOS sanctioned OpenVZ kernel. :)

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street