[CentOS-virt] Xen/VMWare Server comparison and "best Xen practices"?

Fri Oct 19 09:41:52 UTC 2007
Kris Buytaert <mlkb at inuits.be>

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 20:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Kris Buytaert wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:40:49 +0200:
>
> > I've been using LVM volumes for ages.
> >
> > You only have a limited amount of partitions so partitions don't scale.
> >

> > I only use files if I`m building a virtual machine that I want to give
> > to someone who isn't capable of kickstarting a system.
>
> Yeah, I meant to include LVM volumes in the general partition meaning. I
> wanted to know if you use/prefer/recommend partitions/LVM over files.
> Obviously, files are so much easier to maintain. I now have a test VM
> running on an LVM volume and am now wondering if there are other methods
> to move it around for instance as what Xen provides (I read there's a
> system migration feature, but i didn't read that up yet).

I find files much harder to maintain .. I don't have a fixed set of
tools that can grow,shrink them , that can span them over multple
physical disks if my initial disk becomes to small.  That can easily
snapshot them.

Also ..an unexperienced sysadmin will easily start removing big files
that clutter his filesystem.  He`ll think twice when it's a logical
volume that is in use :)

--

Kris Buytaert , kris.buytaert at inuits.be ,
http://www.krisbuytaert.be/blog/