[CentOS-virt] Re: [kvm-devel] (long) kvm and virt-manager not ready for daily usage

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Sat Sep 8 15:18:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 13:15 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> kvm is not ready for production use for many reason:
> it can't reboot which imho a very basic feature, what's more can't even
> shutdown/poweroff. the centos i386 guest are not able to shutdown on the
> x86_64 host (strange the x86_64 centos and the i586 mandrake-9 are able
> to shutdown) or what's seems to be more likely it's a random think.
>
> can't give 2GB ram to any guests not even 2, but 1.9999 is ok. what's
> more i've to discover this in the hard way virt-manager gives some
> strange error message (anyway none of the virt-manager's error message
> are useful, just strange stack trace without any kind of useful info).

kvm-36 now supports more than 2GB of RAM per guest.  You're one version
off for that.

> the host see as i've 4 cpu. i've got a change to gives more cpu to the
> guest, what's more they starts, but after a few minutes running the
> system crash. not just the guest os but the host os crash without any
> kind of info, log or any useful info what was the cause of it, but hard
> reset helps:-((( first of all it's serious problem, even if it's a known
> bug and documented somewhere (but there is not any kind of docs about
> neither kvm nor virt-manager/libvirt and what i can find that very
> limited), since all of the new hvm cpu (which is required for kvm) has
> more core, so the guest can't use the real power of the cpu this means
> i've to put a lots of guests with one virtual cpu to the host or
> currently can't exploit these cpus.

I'm having difficulty understanding what your problem is.  Are you
saying that guest SMP isn't working for you?  The host OS definitely
shouldn't crash.  Can you be more specific about what configs you are
using?  There was a host oops fixed in kvm-36 so upgrading may help you.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori