[CentOS-virt] Re: [kvm-devel] (long) kvm and virt-manager not ready for daily usage

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Sat Sep 8 20:50:02 UTC 2007

Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> the host see as i've 4 cpu. i've got a change to gives more cpu to the
>> guest, what's more they starts, but after a few minutes running the
>> system crash. not just the guest os but the host os crash without any
>> kind of info, log or any useful info what was the cause of it, but hard
>> reset helps:-((( first of all it's serious problem, even if it's a known
>> bug and documented somewhere (but there is not any kind of docs about
>> neither kvm nor virt-manager/libvirt and what i can find that very
>> limited), since all of the new hvm cpu (which is required for kvm) has
>> more core, so the guest can't use the real power of the cpu this means
>> i've to put a lots of guests with one virtual cpu to the host or
>> currently can't exploit these cpus.
>
> I'm having difficulty understanding what your problem is.  Are you

after i reread my sentences it was difficult for me too:-(

> saying that guest SMP isn't working for you?  The host OS definitely
> shouldn't crash.  Can you be more specific about what configs you are
> using?  There was a host oops fixed in kvm-36 so upgrading may help you.

exactly. i've got 4 phisical core (Intel Core 2 Quad) and i try to give
4 cpus for 2 guests and 2 cpus for a third guest and restart libvirtd.
the result was that even the host system crash without any stack trace
or kernel panic and only the hard reset helps.