[CentOS-virt] xenbr0 isn't created anymore

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Apr 1 14:50:23 UTC 2008

<E2BB8074E <E2BB8074E5500C42984D980D4BD78EF9022A706F at MFG-NYC-EXCH2.mfg.prv>

Ross S. W. Walker wrote on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:16:38 -0400:

> dnsmasq is going to filter out the incoming dhcp requests as it acts as a
> dhcp server itself. Try disabling dnsmasq, or move your VMs off of virbr0
> onto xenbr0.

I wrote dnsmasq is killed then ;-) I started service libvirtd and then
killed dnsmasq and made sure it wasn't running. Then I tried. And the
virbr0 is not used anyway. However, something that libvirtd does seems to
switch on some extra forwarding that helps the broadcast packet to travel
from peth0 to eth0 which otherwise it would only do if it had an IP address
target. I have now stopped libvirtd as well and it still works, even for a
VM that I start after that (which means I can rule arp table out as its MAC
address was unknown). And iptables does not show any forwarding rules once
I stop libvirtd. The NAT stays active stopping libvirtd, but I killed it
with iptables. Still it works. So, there must be something that switches
this on. I'm sure if I reboot the host the problem is back.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany