[CentOS-virt] virt-install error messages

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Apr 29 14:36:59 UTC 2008

I get two errors when doing a fully automated kickstart install with virt-
install:

> libvir: QEMU error : connect: /var/run/libvirt/qemud-sock: Connection refused
> libvir: warning : Failed to find the network: Is the daemon running ?

that seems to be harmless and is caused by libvirtd being shut off.

Then I get:

> Starting install...
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
> Retrieving CentOS...                                            194 kB 00:00
> Retrieving vmlinuz...                                           2.0 MB 00:00
> Retrieving initrd.img...                                        5.0 MB 00:00
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
> Creating domain...                                                 0 B 00:00
> Domain installation still in progress.  You can reconnect
> to the console to complete the installation process.

The "GET operation failed:" error seems to be harmless, too, but it happens
whether libvirt is running or not. From googling around it looks like this is a
pretty standard error. Could this be a bug in virt-install?

Apart from that I notice that the virt-install installation seems to be more
ressource hungry than starting a kickstart installation with virt-manager.
While I don't recognize much of the virt-manager installation performance-wise,
the virt-install installation clearly drains on the CPU, the system reaches
100% CPU utilization during the first one or two minutes and that is noticable
at least on the desktop. Do you have the same experience?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany