[CentOS-virt] xenbr0 isn't created anymore

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Wed Apr 2 11:31:14 UTC 2008

<E2BB8074E <E2BB8074E5500C42984D980D4BD78EF9022A7078 at MFG-NYC-EXCH2.mfg.prv>

The solution was simple. I had actually already thought about it from the
beginning, but somehow lost track and forgot about trying it.
I swapped the IP numbers on eth0 and eth0:0 and it started working.

As a reminder: eth0 had a public IP address and eth0:0 holds the private
one which is in the same subnet as the IPs handed out by dhcpd. This setup
isn't a problem for any packets except for DHCP replies to a bridged
virtual network it seems. dhcpd sends out the reply from the public IP
address (=(p)eth0) and directs the packet to the private IP address. It
never makes it to eth0 for whatever reason. I assume some extra routing or
so might be necessary and I must have hit it somehow earlier yesterday,
but couldn't reproduce it. Interestingly, the packet (even when it works)
doesn't show up in iptables at all. I set logging for all chains and udp
packets to these ports and there is nothing. It shows up only in
tcpdumping of peth0. One probably needs ebtables to get any hold of these
packets.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany