[CentOS-virt] Xen List

Ross S. W. Walker

rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Apr 18 15:23:06 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >The silly mistake that always gets me is I forget to put the .img extension on
> >the initrd file, be careful when running mkinitrd that the exact command is:
> >
> ># mkinitrd -f --preload=pciback /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
> >
> >You can remove the pciback stuff from grub.conf, but make sure the
> >modprobe.conf options are there prior to running mkinitrd.
> >
> >-Ross
>
> Ross,
> You rock! I think the issue before was one of iether two
> sceanrios, I may not have had the modprobe.conf line in
> before I ran mkinitrd, or it wasn't at the top (would that matter?).

Doesn't matter where in modprobe.conf it is because it gets grepped
out when the module loads.

> Anyway, I saw dmesg indicate the module siezed the device!
>
> Thanks so much!
> jlc
>
> Ps. Do you run any hvm's in production?

Not so much HVMs but we have a number of PVMs in production. We are
still using VMware/MSVS for our HVMs. It just makes sense to
consolidate Linux onto Xen and Windows onto VMware/MSVS right now.

There's a whole cost/benefit and cost/performance analysis I could
go into on this, but I think you can get the picture.

-Ross