[CentOS-virt] Xen networking - pulling out my hair

Tue Apr 29 00:55:13 UTC 2008
Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com>

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Ken Bass wrote on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:08:22 -0400:
>
>> In anaconda, I select manual/static IP address. I enter 192.168.139.4
>> with subnet mask of 255.255.255.255, gateway/ns of 192.168.144.5
>
> AFAIK, there is no route from 192.168.139.4 to 192.168.144.5. You need to
> specify a gateway in that net!

 Hmm. I dont have a separate gateway in that net. 192.168.144.5 is the
gateway for everything. But each of my ip addresses are actual real DNS
entries so packets originating from them should come from them. (I used
192.168 as a private example, but my actual addresses are real). And
shouldn't the installer just setup a default route to the dom0 that is
installing via its eth0?

> Your earlier explanation looks a bit like you think your packets somehow
> "go thru" your Dom0 and rely on the network settings on it. That's not the
> case. Once the initial bridge is setup you can use *any* IP number on the
> DomU that you like, there is no connection to the IP numbers that are
> configured for the Dom0.

 That is most likely because I am confused about bridging vs routing. I
realize the default is bridging. But since my ip addresses are in
different subnets I cannot even get past pinging things correctly. I
just don't know the proper way to correct it. Also my ip ranges, being
real, are very limited so I don't have a 'pool' of ip addresses to
create dummy gateways on each subnet.

 I have yet to get this work. The installer will not work for me at all.
I just copied a jailtime image and made my own initrd so that I could
make some progress, but this bridging is still messing me up. At least
with jailtime I have a shell to work with.