[CentOS-virt] how to monitor each VM's traffic?

Fri Aug 8 13:47:57 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Sure, that's for XEN, but it's not very effective. I need graph the
> traffic for each VM, not the vif - the vifs tend to change on a reboot,
> and also reset with the stats.
>
> How can I graph the traffic over a perioud of time, for any given IP
> address?
>
> Cacti works well, for switches & routers, but I can't get Cacti to graph
> an individual VM on the server.
>
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org
> <mailto:mail-lists at karan.org>> wrote:
>
>     Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>         Hi all
>
>         Can someone please tell me how to monitor each VM's traffic on a
>         CentOS
>         5.2 server, running either Xen or OpenVZ? I need to bill my
>         users for
>         the traffic they use, and would like to have a traffic usage
>         graph for
>         each Xen / OpenVZ Virtual Machine on the server.
>

>     if you look at how xen sets up the Vif interfaces, you will note
>     that its quite trivial. just watch the vif as you would an eth
>     interface.

You've been on the list long enough to consider trimming your posts and
not top posting.

also, you seem confused about what a virtual interface is. take a look
at virsh and see how you can bring up and take down a xen domu while
getting info on what interfaces its using and how.