[CentOS-virt] xen+drbd Question

Tue Aug 26 17:25:31 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <RWalker at medallion.com>

Alexandre Biancalana wrote:
> On 8/26/08, Ross S. W. Walker <RWalker at medallion.com> wrote:
> > Alexandre Biancalana wrote:
> >  > On 8/26/08, Aleksandar Ivanisevic
> >  > <aleksandar.ivanisevic at 2e-systems.com> wrote:
> >  > > Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > > > Just specify the drbd devices directly as:
> >  > > >
> >  > > > disk = ['phy:/dev/drbd0,hda,w' ]
> >  > > >
> >  > > > And you should be ok. There is no need to use the scripts.
> >  > > >
> >  > >
> >  > >  You actually got it working stably, live migration and
> >  > > all? which kernel,
> >  > > xen, drbd if I may ask?
> >  >
> >  > What about that ?
> >  >
> >  > http://fghaas.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/drbd-806-brings-full-li
> >  > ve-migration-for-xen-on-drbd/
> >

> > Are you running Xen 3.2 from xen.org?
> >
> >  If not then specify your devices as the top portion of the blog
> >  talks about, then config drbd with the allow-two-primaries as
> >  the bottom talks about, and ignore the middle.
> >
> >  If you upgrade to xen.org release of Xen then you can use the
> >  block-drbd script to specify by drbd resource name instead of
> >  device, but that's just fluff in stuff, and doesn't have
> >  anything to do with the ability to live migrate which is all
> >  handled by the allow-two-primaries option.
>
> Are you saying that we can only use block-drbd script with Xen 3.2 ?

It might work with the Xen 3.1 libraries too, but that's also
irrelevant as CentOS/RHEL has decided to use the Xen 3.0.3
libraries (though they are using the Xen 3.1 hypervisor, go
figure!).

Linbit wrote the block-drbd script for Xen 3.1 (maybe 3.2) and
up, but definitely not pre-3.1.

For the definitive answer though I recommend posting on
drbd-user. Someone there might even have a work-around to
get it to work on earlier Xen libraries...

But like I said it's just fluff and stuff and specifying the
drbd device directly will work just the same and there is
no fear of it breaking in the future if the Xen libs change
or some feature in bash changes!

-Ross