[CentOS-virt] Shared Storage Options

Wed Aug 27 01:20:40 UTC 2008
Brett Worth <brett at worth.id.au>

Jerry Ablan wrote:
> Has anyone played with OCFS2?
>
> http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/

Thanks for suggesting this.  I've done a fresh install of CentOS 5.2 and put OCFS2 on top.
  Its really easy to use and install and the the performance looks really good.  I'm going
to be using OCFS2 for a few more applications from now on.

Meanwhile...

Once I ran up Xen on these machines I was able to use file based storage allocation to the
VMs and have it running with reasonable performance.

My original problem is still there however.  I've tested the flock functionality of OCFS2
and it works but Xen it seems doesn't do locking even on a shared filesystem.  It is
possible that Xen is trying to do some other sort of file locking but unfortunately OCFS2
only supports flock.

I could write some scripts to replace xm which could check for the existence of a lock
file before attempting to start a VM but that seems a bit clunky.

Is there a proper way to do this?

Regards
Brett