[CentOS-virt] VMware images

Tru Huynh

tru at centos.org
Mon Jan 7 10:06:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:27:12PM -0500, Ted Miller wrote:

> OK, so I downloaded the image and unzipped it.  (The first time I tried to
> unzip it from Konqueror, it installed the little files, but left all the
> .vmdk files as 0 byte files).
>
> I changed the root password.
>
> 1. The first think I get is an error message saying that it can't find
> vmnet(8), so the network card will start disconnected.

which guest did you try?

There should not be any vmnet driver used unless you installed the vmware tools
which are not installed by default (on purpose).

The default kernel is the kernel-vm (CentOS specific) but the pristine
kernel (and kernel-smp for CentOS-4) are also there.

My TODO list for 2008 contains the "howto" the guest images are generated.

The 4.6 and 5.1 are being built, and will be uploaded this week.

Cheers,

Tru