[CentOS-virt] open-vm-tools for latest CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 kernel-vms

Tue Jan 1 16:15:03 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Jan 1, 2008 7:53 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> > Couple questions regarding these kernels... should they be run on the
> > host or on the guest?  And I see they are in -testing right now, and
> > also in "tru's" home directory.  Where is the authoritative source for
> > them and will they end up in centosplus at some point?
> >

> We (Tru Huynh actually, with help from Akemi Yagi and Fabian Arrotin)
> created them. There is no Authoritative source (except us :D), the SRPMS
> are available from the current locations now.  They are the EL kernel
> with the clock freq set to 100HZ instead of 1000HZ ... which is pretty
> much required to get any kind of performance inside of VMware VMs.

And if you are interested in how the -vm kernel was born and what the
current status of development is, take a look at:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2189

I would also like to encourage people to join in the effort and
contribute to that bug tracker with new findings, test results, etc.

Akemi