[CentOS-virt] Re: [CentOS-devel] Any news about next kvm release for centos 5.2?

Fri Jul 11 09:29:46 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <jhughes at hughesjr.com>

carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Which will be next stable release for CentOS 5.2?? Can i use on a
> production enviromment??

KVM is not part of the main CentOS distro, it is in CentOS extras for
CentOS-5.  The stable version is quite old (kvm-36-1).  Newer versions
than that are in our testing repository:

http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/

Whether or not they can be used in production is totally dependent on
your unique situation, your specific hardware and what you plan to
install on the VMs.

At some point in the future, Red Hat is going to release KVM technology
in RHEL ... when that happens, then I would call it "good enough" to use
in the enterprise without reservation.

It certainly may already be "good enough" for your needs as released in
our extras repo ... the only real way to tell is try it in your
situation is to try it and see if it meets your needs.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes