[CentOS-virt] unable to access xen guest's console

a s p a s i a aspasia.sf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 23:26:30 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I am new to Xen;  I followed a few techtips/technotes from How2forge
and other linux sites to walk me through configuring the following:

- proper installation of xen kernel on a CentOS 5.1 server
- booting into the xen kernel and checking the Dom0 (all is fine):

[root at dataserv3 /]# xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     1737     2 r-----   1155.0

first guest OS via "virt-install" and/or "virtual manager" - both
allowed me to get to the point of where the guest DomU is created ...
and it's at 12%;  the CLI install process tells me to access the
console - but I am unable to console into the new guest DomU.

xm list now shows:
--------------------
xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     1737     2 r-----   1155.0
centos50                                   2      255     1 ------      0.0

xm console centos50 gives me an error:

xm console centos50
xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

While running the Virtual Machine Mgr GUI - when I click on my guest
DomU - its console window appears gray with a message "The console is
currently unavailable".

Questions:

1.  Is there a link or some paper that I may have missed that outlines
potential issues in configuring Xen guest machines using virt-install
and/or Virtual Machine Mgr?

2.  Any thoughts as to what steps or packages did I miss so that I am
not getting a console?

thanks in advance.

- aspasia.

--