[CentOS-virt] Virtuozzo & GFS

Sun Jun 1 01:31:50 UTC 2008
Bradley Falzon <brad at teambrad.net>

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 16:19 -0400, James Thompson wrote:
> With GFS things seem at least noticeably more sluggish which I expect
> is normal given the multi-se

James,

I haven't personally used GFS before, but the sysstat package might be
able to help you out. Basically, from what i can see there would be two
different causes of the load:

CPU:
We've ran Zimbra in VMWare Server with an average load average of around
2-3 (exactly what your seeing) using Full Virtualisation via Intel VT
(ensure your Dell 1950 has this turned on via BIOS - it's not on by
default). Here you would probably see 'top' claiming the load average
(on the hypervisor) to be mostly on CPU.

IO:
Use the sysstat rpm (iowait app) to have a look at iowait times and
narrow it down to a IO problem, here you'd see 'top' claiming high load
average but CPU's look fine. We ran iSCSI on a 50mbit link (quick test),
and whilst formatting the load average shot up to ~5, CPU and everything
was fine and iowait quickly showed us it was waiting on IO the whole
time.

Hope that might help, you've probably checked these already though.

Does Virtualizzo supper paravirtualised guests - that might be the next
step to check out if you haven't already...