[CentOS-virt] VMWare - 5.2 Update - Kernel Best Practices

Thu Jun 26 13:04:17 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:57 AM, John Thomas
<gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the great stuff.
>
> Executive Summary:  Kernel Parameters or Special Kernel for 5.2 on VMWare?
>
> More Details:
> Is it the best practice to use the specially compiled kernels (when
> available, typically here:
> http://people.centos.org/~tru/kernel-vm/5/RPMS/i386/ ) or are kernel
> parameters now able to achieve the same thing?
>
> This bug report: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2189 seems to suggest
> clocksource=pit and divider=10 will crash kernels and I did not see "it's
> fixed" in the release notes.

Right, so, if you do not need the clocksource= option, you can use the
divider option.  But otherwise, kernel-vm is the way to go.  I trust
Tru would keep providing us with the kernel-vm until the bug is fixed.

Akemi