[CentOS-virt] Follow-up on Fast clock under VMWare

chanms chanms at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 18:16:08 UTC 2008

Hi everyone:

Just a follow up on the fast clock issue:

"Can you double-check that 'cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq' outputs the
same number as your 'cpuKHZ' setting in your config.ini file?"

There is no cpufreq directory under /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0; all
I see is "cache" (dir), "crash_notes" (a file) and "topology" (dir).
However under /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0,
available_clocksource reads acpi_pm jiffies tsc pit,
current_clocksource reads pit.  (I put in the line clocksource=pit) in
the grub boot up line.

Divider=10 in the bootup line causes the boot up process to hang and a
reset has to be performed; removing it and the CentOS boots properly.

I'm currently using 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5, with boot up options are
"noapic nolapic quiet clocksource=pit" (took out divider=10).  CentOS
clock is going at around 2 seconds per every real second.