[CentOS-virt] Open VPN connection problem on Virtual Box

Sat Mar 29 01:41:43 UTC 2008
Todd and Margo Chester <ToddAndMargo at verizon.net>

Hi All,

     I am working on a mystery.  I am using
openvpn-2.1_beta7-gui-1.0.3-install on all
the computers in question.  All computers
are running XP-Pro-SP2.  (Mine is running
in a virtual window -- details below.)

This configuration works perfectly from my office.
I use it to call five facilities:

remote aa.bb.cc.dd
port 5030
proto udp
dev tap
ifconfig 192.168.240.30 255.255.255.0
secret iamnottellingyou.txt
ping-restart 60
ping-timer-rem
persist-tun
persist-key
resolv-retry 86400
ping 10
comp-lzo
verb 6
mute 10

But, this EXACT config works on TWO other
computers, but not mine:

remote ww.xx.yy.zz 5020
client
dev tap
proto udp
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca foo-ca.crt
cert foo-client1.crt
key foo-client1.key
ns-cert-type server
ping 10
comp-lzo
verb 3

The only difference between the two computers
that MY config works on and mine, is that
my computer is running in a virtual window.

Host: Cent OS 5.1
Guest XP-Pro-SP2
VM: VirtualBox-1.5.6_28266_rhel5-1.i586.rpm

The host and the guest are connected by
a bridge (br0):

DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.255.255
IPADDR=192.168.255.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.255.10
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=no
PROMISC=yes

When trying to connect, the same error message
pops up on my computer (virtual XP) and on the
distant end's (XP) server:

TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur
within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)

The SAME error message!

Why does the first config work, but not the
second?  It is obviously not the config: it
is identical on the other two computers
that it works on.  I think it may
be the way open vpn is reacting to my bridge,
but then, again, the first config works.

Editorial comment:  AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-T