[CentOS-virt] xenbr0 isn't created anymore

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Mon Mar 31 21:23:34 UTC 2008

8EF9022A7066 at MFG-NYC-EXCH2.mfg.prv>

Ross S. W. Walker wrote on Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:09:37 -0400:

> You can use the tcpdump logs in wireshark, or you can yum install
> wireshark and use that interactively right on the bridge.

tcpdump -i eth0 port 67 doesn't reveal much. The requests just look the same
like from other clients. But I don't catch all replies it seems. The problem
is that I catch replies for some clients and not for some other clients. But
they still get an IP number, except for the ones in xen vms. So, it looks
like the command doesn't catch all DHCP traffic. Do you have a better
suggestion what to catch?

Apart from that the bridging looks like yours if I remember right. eth0
bridges to peth0 and vifx.0. No xenbr or virbr anymore. No tap devices,
though. Looking thru man xm I found a dhcp = "dhcp" directive for the config
file, but it didn't change anything.

> Yes, the problem is actually in the Xen API for 3.2, they added an
> option in the API, but didn't provide a default value if the client
> doesn't provide one, so it bombs.
>
> I have a fix for it.

Thanks, I have looked at the patches, but they seem to be for something
different. I checked if I can create a new VM with virt-manager and this
fails in the network device step. But I think that's yet another bug, we
already discussed here, there's also a patch for that.
No, my problem is different from both.
I get an error when running "xm new <vmname>". Going by the short definition
in the xm help output (they forgot to add new to man xm) and what you told
about xenstore I deduced I would need to run this command to add an already
existing VM config to the store so I can manage it. (If there's a different
way ...). And this fails with a python trace that was already mentioned on
the Xen lists and seems to indicate a missing python module:

ImportError: No module named xmlproc
Here's why I think I need "python-xml" or something similar:
http://www.google.de/search?num=30&hl=de&q=ImportError+xmlproc+xensource

Also, this error seems to be quite old, so I would expect it being fixed in
3.2 rpms, which also points to an external source.

Didn't you get this for "xm new"?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany