[CentOS-virt] RE: [CentOS] Running CentOS 4.6 domUs on CentOS 5.1 dom0 and domUscrash

Mon Mar 17 21:30:21 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Nathan Grennan
> <centos at cygnusx-1.org> wrote:
> >   I have a CentOS 5.1 dom0 running on a machine with two cores and 4gb
> >  of memory. It runs three 4.6 domUs and one 5.1 domU. Just out of the
> >  blue the other night all the 4.6 domUs crashed, but the dom0 stayed up.
> >  I ran xm console (domU-name) and got the Oops information below. I
> >  didn't get anything from the 5.1 domU. I think it had been rebooted a
> >  few days before and hadn't come up because of a initrd issue.
> >
> >  First 4.6 domU:
> >
> >  kernel BUG at arch/i386/mm/pgtable-xen.c:306!
> ...snip...
>
> Hi, I'm moving this thread to the CentOS-virt mailinglist (please
> remove the centos mailinglist to everyone replying to this mail) since
> it is more suited for these kind of questions.
>
> Question, If I read those crashes correctly your 4.6 domU is a 32 bit
> one ? What platform is your dom0 32 or 64 bit? Running a 32 bit domU
> on a 64 bit dom0 is currently not really stable. This is suppose to
> improve with 5.2

I agree with Tim. I have just about the same setup as you at
home, dual core, 4GB and I am running x86_64 with 32bit domUs
and the only way I was able to get them to run reliably was
using the Xen 3.2 from xen.org.

I hope 5.2 finally moves completely over to 3.2 with all it's
features instead of this Frankenstein version it has where it
glues the Xen 3.0.3 user land tools onto a highly patched 3.1
hypervisor forcing the user to try and use their swiss army
knife libvirt to manage the mess. Ugh! I just want Xen and
to manage it through Xen!

-Ross