[CentOS-virt] Virtuozzo & GFS

James Thompson james at ubercart.org
Sat May 31 20:19:55 UTC 2008

I believe both dlm_send and dlm_receive are part of GFS' locking mechanism
where locks are bouncing back and forth between servers. The Zimbra VE is
pretty consistent in its internal load and what struck me was that
Virtuozzo's PIM interface flags the increased load (leading me to believe it
is abnormal). Perhaps I am mistaken on the meaning of the load figures
though. On a busy machine what would be considered a normal load? Does it
differ based on the number of processors and cores available in the system?
I came across this article which makes me think I may be mistaken in my
concern: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9001

Can anyone who is using GFS perhaps comment on how it has performed for them
in virtualization scenarios? When initially working with just the iSCSI
mounted disks involved operations were just slightly less "snappy" than
local file operations. With GFS things seem at least noticeably more
sluggish which I expect is normal given the multi-server locking but has
anyone worked on optimizing GFS performance in a virtualization environment?

Thanks,
James Thompson