[CentOS-virt] virtual sprawl - managing password changes

Fri May 16 18:58:09 UTC 2008
Jeff Larsen <jlar310 at gmail.com>

We are using the free VMware Server on CentOS 4. Almost all of our VMs
are CentOS 4 as well. We have 7 VMware hosts with about 40 total
virtual machines. It's been a very successful architecture for us.

I'm wondering how the rest of the community is managing updates of
root (and other local account) passwords in a virtual sprawl
environment (or a physical environment with lots of hosts).

I have read about things like expect, puttycs, centralize with kerberos, etc.

But I'm not looking for "options" here, I want to hear actual
experiences! What has worked for you, what hasn't worked? Or do you
feel that the chance for failure is to great and the results too
catastrophic?

Thanks,

--
Jeff