[CentOS-virt] tick divider bugs

Mon May 5 18:40:48 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Allen Tsang <atsang at advance.net> wrote:

>  I've tried almost everything else under the sun with a number of test VMs
> on our ESX setup, and the best combination of low idle load and accurate
> timekeeping was achieved using that combination of settings.  Yes, ntpd is
> off.  Feel free to give it a shot; I don't take credit for it, I found notes
> about this on the CentOS bug tracker
> (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2189).  Like other fine folks have
> mentioned on this list (much to their amusement likely, now),
> clocksource=pit is nice, but it doesn't work with divider=10 and hangs on
> boot.

As you can see in that bug tracker, we have spent a lot of time to
come up with 100Hz kernels, kernel-vm.  These kernels do not have
problems with clocksource=pit.  Until this bug is eliminated upstream,
I think kernel-vm offered by CentOS may be the best solution
(shameless advertisement).  I just hope it won't take long for the
upstream developers to find a fix for the problem associated with the
divider= option.

Akemi / toracat