[CentOS-virt] my domU from jailtime.org using latests xen kernel freezees

Thu May 22 23:25:05 UTC 2008
Luke S Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com>

Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> writes:
> David Hláèik wrote on Thu, 22 May 2008 13:34:17 +0200:
>
> > disk = [ 'tap:aio:/home/xen/webdev/webdev_root.img,sda1,w',
> > 'tap:aio:/home/xen/webdev/webdev_swap.img,sda2,w' ]
>
> I suggest using file: instead of tap:aio (I haven't tested this, but it's
> been said here or elsewhere several times that it is faster than tap:aio)
> I've been using it all the time with good results.)

the tap driver is quite a bit faster than what file: does (file:
mounts the file as a loopback device, and passes in the loopback device to
the DomU. the tap driver directly manipulates the blocks in the file.)

for more details:

http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix05/tech/general/full_papers/short_papers/warfield/warfield_html/index.html

> > root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
>
> You do not need that, comment it out.

You need that if you are not using pygrub.

> Btw: *why* do you want to use a jailtime image if you can just
> install/kickstart a CentOS 5 VM in no time?

I agree this is probably the best course of action if you want CentOS 5.
virt-install will give you a working system with pygrub (and
I think pygrub is keen.)