[CentOS-virt] Can't get PCI card visible in guest

Kenneth Tanzer

ktanzer at desc.org
Fri Oct 31 00:04:40 UTC 2008

> I am not seeing the errors in the red hat based boot that I am familiar
> with,
As I understand it, this Asterisk disk I have is built on Centos 5.2, so
I'm assuming Asterisk=CentOS=Redhat, at least for this purpose.

> it seems that you are running into one of the following (or
> similar:
>
> Your guest root file system is not where you expect it to be.
> If you haven't already, check the grub.conf in the guest.

Here's my grub file:

title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        module /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen.img

Here's the corresponding xen entries:

kernel="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen"
ramdisk="/boot/initrd-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen.img"
root="/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00"
extra="ro"

They seem to match to me.  Sanity check:  the "root" in the xen config
is specified as seen by the guest, right?

> OR
>
> You are missing modules in your ramdisk that are needed by your guest
> (in which case you would need to use mkinitrd to rebuild your xen initrd
> and make sure you include the necessary modules)

I can boot the xen kernel as a fully-virtualized machine (with the
grub.conf mentioned above).  Is that a fair indicator that all the
required modules exist?  If not, any idea how to figure out what might
be missing?

Ken