[CentOS-virt] Can't get PCI card visible in guest

Kenneth Tanzer

ktanzer at desc.org
Fri Oct 31 23:37:29 UTC 2008

Thanks.  I actually was running pygrub, and I _swear_ that the first
time I ran it, it said that the initrd was not found.  I then copied it
to the host, and it ran.  This actually brings me to another question/issue:

It really honestly seems to me that sometimes I was getting inconsistent
results, at least vis a vis the _current_ state of configuration files.
Also, I've had situations where I've been unable to destory machines
from the graphical virt-manager, but able to do so with xm.  Yesterday,
I had a guest that didn't show up on an xm list, but showed up in the
virt-manager, constantly toggling between running and stopped.

My questions are:

1) whether either xm or virt-manager do any kind of caching of settings,
so that your current configuration might not actually be what is executed?

2) does going through the xen / grub boot process do any kind of
changing or writing of settings?  Again, I swear there were times where
I got different results on the second boot than the first one.

3) finally, what would account for the differences between virt-manager
and xm, and also is there any magic way to destroy an un-destroyable
machine without having to reboot your computer?

Thanks all--this seems like a very helpful mailing list!

Ken