[CentOS-virt] Can't get PCI card visible in guest

Thu Oct 30 22:47:43 UTC 2008
Todd Deshane <deshantm at gmail.com>

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Kenneth Tanzer <ktanzer at desc.org> wrote:
> OK, thanks.  Our vendor says our processor and chipset both don't support
> VT-d, so we're definitely out of luck!
>
> Maybe someone can help with some related xen-ignorance on my part.  Since it
> can't work with full virtualization, I'd like to try running
> paravirtualized.  (Sanity check:  you can do PCI passthroughs with PV
> guests, right?)

Yes.

> So I've downloaded the AsteriskNow 1.5 beta, which is (conveniently) built
> off of CentOS 5.2.  I installed it fully virtualized, fired it up and
> installed the xen kernel.  I can run the Xen kernel (albeit very slowly) in
> a fully-virtual environment, but I can't get it to boot as a PV guest.  I
> get this instead:
>
> Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_parse_elf_kernel: ELF image has no
> shstrtab\n')

The easiest way to get this to boot is to change remove the bootloader option
and replace it with kernel and ramdisk options

So remove:

bootloader='/usr/bin/pygrub'

and add

kernel='/boot/vmlinuz-<your dom0 xen kernel version>' (found in /boot)
ramdisk='/boot/initrd-<your dom0 xen ramdisk version>' (found in /boot)

This will also get rid of any potential pygrub security issues as well.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Todd

--