[CentOS-virt] Xen kickstart and virt-manager

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Wed Sep 10 10:10:27 UTC 2008

Hi again.

I'm pleased to say that my experimentation with ocfs2 has been very successful and I'm
considering doing some real work with it.

My current question is related to virt-manager and the use of kickstart to install
paravirtualised domU's.  I'm happily doing fully-virtualised installs with this tool but
due to poor network performance I thought it time to do some para-virtualised testing.  In
the dialog where I'm asked to supply the URL for the install repository and the kickstart
location I'm unable to use the "file://..." construct so I'm left with a selection that
only includes locations on the network.

Now my network interface information for the domU is in the kickstart file so when I move
forward in the tool there's a message saying that its trying to determine a network
address, presumably via DHCP (I am unable to put a dhcp server on this network).  From the
command line I can use wget against the kickstart file at the URL I'm providing so that's OK.

I'm obviously overlooking something but its currently got me puzzled.  So how is this
supposed to work?  Am I supposed to do the network configuration for the installation
somewhere else?

Brett