[CentOS-virt] redhat's Qumranet acquisition

Todd Deshane

deshantm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 15:52:42 UTC 2008

My experience has primarly been with Xen.

I have helped a company successfully deploy Xen on CentOS. They had
a really nice cobbler setup and were able to leverage it nicely to make
the transition to virtuals easy.

They found our running xen book (http://runningxen.com) a great resource.

Another factor to consider is the application workload and the guest
requirements.

Over the last several years, we at Clarkson, have done a lot of
performance studies
on virtualization systems (as well as writing the book on Xen).

You can find links to much of this work at:
http://people.clarkson.edu/~jnm/publications/publications.html
http://todddeshane.net/research.html
http://xen.cosi.clarkson.edu/

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Todd

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:25 AM, admin <mick at mjhall.org> wrote:
> Some factors swaying my boss towards Xen/XenSource:
>
> On the quotes we've been getting, XenSource would cost half of what VMWare
> ESX would cost (not the stripped down free download obviously).
> We are a cash-strapped organisation, so the difference is significant.
>
> We are also looking to move as much of our server infrastructure as possible
> to a standardised RHEL/CentOS platform, whether as hosts or as guests.
> VMware runs on RHEL/CentOS of course, but a
> supported-out-of-the-box-by-the-OS-vendor alternative (like Xen) always has
> appeal.
>
> My boss is also interested in Citrix for some other stuff they do (virtual
> clients/application delivery).
>
> For my part, looks like I'm going to learn Xen, then learn KVM.
>
> I am just starting with Xen ... my sandbox is a new Dell PowerEdge 840 with
> Xeon Quad Core, 4GB RAM and 4 x 750GB HDD on a hardware RAID 5, so far it is
> all running like a dream.
>
> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>>
>>> You are asserting the Xensource lacks what the CentOS supplied
>>> xen has? wow
>>
>> I should also state that Xen is the coolest thing I have played with in
>> ages.
>> I don't want to suggest I am not fond of it in any way, I love it and use
>> it. I
>> just don't think the commercial product is polished enough. I really feel
>> some
>> trivial lustre could be massaged into it. If I was shelling out cash, and
>> the choice
>> was vmware or xensource you cant compare. Vmware has been at it a long
>> time
>> and thier product is just so polished and solid.
>>
>> YMMV,
>> jlc

Todd Deshane
http://todddeshane.net