[CentOS-virt] amazon web services and CentOS

Mon Sep 29 00:25:34 UTC 2008
Luke S Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com>

Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> writes:
> After much conversation to / from their end, they are in a situation
> where they have offered me some access and credits to make the whole
> CentOS on AWS happen. This is the sort of thing right up the VirtSIG
> alley, so am wondering if there are people here who would like to help
> out at all ?

I would be interested in helping.

If we released a 'live filesystem image' (that is, a minimal CentOS
instalation to a loopback-mounted file)  with Xen kernels installed,
it could be used by both ec2 and other VPS providers.

the real advantage here would be for users (and providers) who want to use
CentOS VMs, but don't have CentOS boxes laying about to do yum --installroot
installs.

If we want to make things super easy for ec2 users, we could create an
'official' CentOS  shared AMI that people could use, based on that
live filesystem image.    And if it was a trusted part of the
CentOS release process, it wouldn't have the trust issues that most shared
AMI have.   This, I think, would be a big win, and is a much bigger
win if it's done 'officially' by the CentOS release process than if it's
done by some random guy creating and sharing a CentOS image.