[CentOS-virt] Xen kickstart and virt-manager

Wed Sep 10 11:03:17 UTC 2008
Mikael Fridh <mikael.fridh at its.uu.se>

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 08:10:27PM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
> Now my network interface information for the domU is in the kickstart
> file so when I move forward in the tool there's a message saying that its
> trying to determine a network address, presumably via DHCP (I am unable
> to put a dhcp server on this network).  From the command line I can use
> wget against the kickstart file at the URL I'm providing so that's OK.
>
> I'm obviously overlooking something but its currently got me puzzled.  So
> how is this supposed to work?  Am I supposed to do the network
> configuration for the installation somewhere else?

The network information is passed with -x "boot parameters" just as if
you were booting a CD but wanted to do an unattended network install.

I'm using a templatized script, but the resulting cmdline version is the
following:

virt-install --nonsparse -b xenbr1.246 --vncport=5905 -p \
-l http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/centos/5/os/i386 \
-f /var/lib/xen/images/host05.xvda -s 20G -n host05 -r 256 --vnc \
-x "cmdline ks=http://repo-server/kickstart/host05.cfg ksdevice=eth0 \
ip=X.X.X.X \
netmask=X.X.X.X \
gateway=X.X.X.X \