[CentOS-virt] state of lfarkas KVM repository + Centos KVM wiki

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plcomputers.net
Fri Apr 24 01:28:06 UTC 2009

Farkas Levente wrote:
> first of all bottom post:-)
>
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> I forgot to mention that kvm-kmod rpm's are kernel based (they copy
>> files to specific kernel folders.
>>
>> I am right now in the process to build rpm's for several mainstream
>> kernels from 5.2 and 5.3 for i386 systems.
>>
>> you will be able to download it from
>> http://www.plcomputers.net/download/plc-centos5-custom/ in few hours.
>>
>> NOTICE: I am not veteran in rpm build's (but I had help from Farkas
>> Levente considering proper compiling of kvm-kmod) so please first use
>> them on non-production systems.
>>
>> Ljubomir
>>

>> Julian Price wrote:
>>> Rainer Traut wrote:
>>>  >
>>>  > But my actual question is, what's the state of lfarkas repository?
>>>  > Can it be trusted? Sadly there is no frontpage on http://www.lfarkas.org/
>>>  >

>>> Levente Farkas contributes on the centos-devel list and I have seen
>>> several other posts from people using those RPMs so yes, I trust them.
>>>
>>> I have been asking for them to be put them into a repository...
>>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2009-April/004419.html
>>> ...but I guess sorting out issues arising from CentOS 5.3 is higher
>>> priority right now.
>>>
>>> Running KVM as an unpriviledged user is on my to-do list so I will
>>> follow the outcome of that thread with interest.
>
> as i wrote to you this kmod rpm (as all other centos kmods) use
> weak-updates so the kernel version is not included in the version by
> desing. it's working with _all_ centos 5.x kernel.
>
> anyway i'll provide these rpms until centos-5.4 released and lets see
> what will be in 5.4 and then...
> anyway my current suggestion to use kvm-84.
> as i be able to put together a consistent build far in my end i'll try
> to provide i386 rpms too, but as i only use 64bit hosts i only compile it.

So that's what is for. I was wondering when I inspected contents of your
rpm's. "Every day in every way I progress more and more". I must
apologize for making the confusion, I will try to restrain my self from
giving further advices, and will also make sure I post just in this
mailing list and not to your personal mail.

I do have 2 questions:

1. What happens if I manually install OLDER kernel with rpm -ivh
kernel-..... --force? will kmod create necessary symlinks?

2. If rpm is build with non-existing kernel, will that work without any
problems? I guess it will, but confirmation would be nice, for the peace
of mind.

As soon as you start building i386 rpm's I will remove mine or maybe
replace them with yours. I will be happy to test any i386 package for you.

Also if from any reason you are currently unable to build i386 versions
you can copy from mine site if you like. It would be an honor for me.
They are freshly compiled from your sources without ANY changes.

libvirt is also freshly compiled for i386 from your sources but with 2
possible problems:
1.
Error: libpci check failed
Disable KVM Device Assignment capability.
(I guess it is because of kernel<2.6.29)

2. virsh is still unable to connect to qemu:///system

Ljubomir