[CentOS-virt] Machine freeze

Tim Verhoeven

tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:26:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Maros TIMKO <timko at pobox.sk> wrote:

> we are running CentOS 5.2 Xen virtualization system with the latest CentOS
> packages with couple of VMs on DELL PowerEdge. "Sometimes" the whole machine
> freezes without anything in log files, anything on the console. "Sometimes"
> really means we cannot define why or when. Sometimes the machine was idle
> with just one VM, sometimes quite busy with couple of VMs.
>
>  Has anybody had the same experience? If yes, any hints on how to resolve it
> or how to trace the cause?

The complete freezing of a machine like that sounds like a hardware
issue to me, most likely the memory. Does the machine unfreeze after a
while or do you have to power cycle the server when it happens ? I
would suggest running a memtest.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)