[CentOS-virt] Machine freeze

Thu Apr 30 19:19:17 UTC 2009
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plcomputers.net>

Karanbir, can you please, in short, explain to me current status of
64-bit CentOS compared to i386? Is it's maturity same as of i386?

I started to actively use CentOS when 4.2 was last version. My decision
to use i386-only was based on issues with some (or many?) drivers like
madwifi for AR5007, it's unavailability for older PC's, my impression in
that time was that it was not stable enough, and the main thing was
since I decided to create my own mirror of main and third party
repositories for internal use, I went with i386.

What is actual gain in using X86_64? Performance in %? Main advantages
beside performance? The real question is, does it pay off to spend 20-30
GB of HDD space for X86_64 if i386 does the job nicely? Just a sentence
or two would be most appreciated.