[CentOS-virt] Slightly OT: FakeRaid or Software Raid

Thomas Harold thomas-news at nybeta.com
Thu Dec 3 22:07:47 UTC 2009

On 12/3/2009 7:35 AM, Grant McWilliams wrote:

> You can talk theoretics but I can tell you my real world experience. I
> cannot speak for other vendors but for 3ware this DOES work and is
> working so far with 100% success. I have a bunch of Areca controllers
> too but the drives are never moved between them so I can say how they'd
> act in that circumstance.

Brand probably matters a lot.  The 3ware and Areca's I'm inclined to
trust.  They're true hardware RAID controllers and not just fakeraid.
Things get a lot murkier when you get into the bottom half of the market.

But for smaller shops that can't afford to have 4+ of everything and
don't need the CPU offload that a hardware RAID controller offers, Linux
Software RAID is a solid choice.