[CentOS-virt] KVM Support for Windows Server 2003 32 bit ready for production?

Wed Dec 2 17:47:19 UTC 2009
Neil Aggarwal <neil at JAMMConsulting.com>

Hello:

I am wondering if KVM is ready for production
for running a Windows Server 2003 32 bit guest.

According to the RHEL 5.4 virtualization guide,
there is supposed to be a virtio-win yum package,
but that was not released.  Instead, it looks like
that is only available for RHN subscribers.

Also, I saw this posting on the CentOS list:

--- Quoted from CL Martinez
There are freely redistributable, but still they aren't published by
upstream. You
can use these instead:
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/windows-binary-virtio-drivers-finally-relea
sed, but
there are a lot of problems with any windows 64 bits. And another problem, a
big
really, is that you can¡t install a windows kvm guest directly to a virtio
disk.
First you need to install to an ide disk, after generate a virtio disk and
attach to
win guest, install the virtio driver and last remove ide drive ... very very
ugly.
---- End Quote

That seems to imply things are still not ready for production
use.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!