[CentOS-virt] Slightly OT: FakeRaid or Software Raid

Wed Dec 2 22:14:32 UTC 2009
Luke S Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com>

"Ben M." <centos at rivint.com> writes:

> Thanks. The portability bonus is a big one. Just two other questions I
> think.
>
> - Raid1 entirely in dom0?

that's what I do.  I make one big md0 in the dom0, then partition that out
with lvm.

> - Will RE type HDs be bad or good in this circumstance? I buy RE types
> but have recently become aware of the possibility where TLER
> (Time-Limited Error Recovery) can be an issue when run outside of a
> Raid, e.g. alone on desktop machine.

generally speaking the re or enterprise drives are all I use
in production (all of production is software raid'd.)  otherwise,
even though you have a mirror, if one drive fails in a certain
way (happened to me twice before I switched to 'enterprise' drives)
the entire box hangs waiting on that one bad drive.