[CentOS-virt] Mixed dom0/domU usage?

Wed Feb 4 16:50:04 UTC 2009
Ben Montanelli <montanelli at rivint.com>

Thank you Henric, exactly what I was looking for. I hope to try this
tweek over the weekend.

I guess many of us want the optimized "grail" dom0. (Please forgive me
if this is in the archive, I find nothing to little on this topic.)

Does this look like a decent summary of your suggestions:

-bluetooth

-gpm

-pcscd

-cups

-avahi-daemon

-yum-updatesd (oh yeah)

-nfslock

-portmap (hmnn, not needed on new domUs, NIC configs as well as
migration for xend? Truly do not know the answer here.)

-rpcidmapd

I'm only slightly above noob on Xen and I still like to do a bit in gui,
(fluxbox or Gnome/XFCE4), so I can see right away if there are any balks
in the service window. I do know that dropping windows manager(s) opens
up some resources, but I still need the assist.

I'm weak in dom0 configuration and securing. I am relying on a separate
NIC (private IP, tight ingress/egress) for dom0 with profound hardware
firewalling and monitoring until I get this aspect comfortably nailed
down. I just don't trust my knowledge of inherent linux firewalling for
servers yet.

I doubt I will ever drop the separate NIC and firewall setup on dom0 though.