[CentOS-virt] Mixed dom0/domU usage?

Wed Feb 4 10:08:43 UTC 2009
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

Dennis J. wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm wondering about the impact of using both dom0 and domU's on a server at
> the same time. I'm worried about the performance impact of running a Mysql
> server in a domU and now I'm thinking about moving the Mysql part of a LAMP
> setup into dom0 and running a few Apache guests as domUs. Since the Apaches
> will serve mostly from an NFS share they won't have much impact on the disk
> i/o so the database should be able to utilize the local storage without
> much interference from the guests. The plan is to limit dom0 to let's say
> 4gb of ram and then use the rest of it for the VMs.
>
> Has anyone experinece with this kind of "mixed" setup (physical/virtual).
> Are there any known problems with this approach?

Go ahead, performance wise there is not much difference. I have a
machine which runs 2 oracle instances (in separate domUs) + some other
stuff in other VMs
Just make sure that your network card has a very good quality.  Do not
even think about realtek and if possible avoid Broadcom. I've never
heard anyone complaining about Intel.