[CentOS-virt] Ubuntu 8.04 DomU image from jailtime.org on CentOS 5.2 Dom0

Devraj Mukherjee devraj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 02:21:14 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am trying to get an Ubuntu 8.04 image running on my CentOS 5.2 Dom0
which so far has only been running CentOS 5.2 DomUs.

The image I am trying to run was fetched from jailtime.org (just so I
didn't have to go through building an image for myself).

The configuration of the DomU is based on what the guys at
jailtime.org provided and its as follows

name = "redgum"
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen"
memory = "1024"
disk = ['file:/srv/xen/redgum.img,sda1,w']
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'

When I start the VM I get the following message

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

As per my configuration I have mounted the image to sda1 and the root
is specified for the Kernel. Any one with similar experiences or could
point me to the right direction?

"I never look back darling, it distracts from the now", Edna Mode (The