[CentOS-virt] vmware problem took down X on host?

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Sat Jan 17 18:11:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:35:28PM -0500, Ted Miller wrote:
> I run VMWare server 1.07 on Centos 5.  Last night I left a Windows 2000
> virtual machine doing a ClamWin scan of drive M: when I went to bed around
> midnight.  Drive M: is actually a volume on the Centos 5 host, mounted via
> Samba.  It has about 40Gb of photos on it, plus a few other things.  I had
> the VM up visible in the VMWare Server Console running under KDE on display
> 8 (X session #1), my usual configuration.
why don't you just run clamscan from CentOS to the local storage instead
of using a guest OS on vmware server + clamwin + samba? ;)

> This morning when I looked in on it the screen was not responsive.  The
> keyboard seemed to be working (num lock would go on and off, though
> sometimes with some delay).
some kernel panic lights (sos in morse?)

> After the reboot, things seem pretty normal.  However, I found this in
> /var/log/messages, and wonder what they mean, especially the one at
> 04:02:08 about debug info.
X server crashed (nvidia driver crashed? or hardware issue on the video card or
the mainboard) then samba crashed

#vmware might have more clues on the vmware server logs.

Tru