[CentOS-virt] Migrate windows VM from i386 Host to x86_64 host

James Roman james_roman at ssaihq.com
Thu Jul 30 14:24:21 UTC 2009

Somehow one of our Xen servers ended up loaded with the i686 xen kernel,
instead of the x86_64. The host has one windows VM running on it. The OS
partition is file-based, but it also has a logical volume partition
assigned for data. We would like to migrate the host server to a 64-bit
kernel, which means moving the VM to one of our other 64-bit host
servers. We tried simply copying the OS partition and using dd to move
the LVM partition to a new host unsuccessfully. I'm pretty sure that dd
may not be appropriate when moving between kernel architectures.
However, even without the LVM partition specified in the vm config file,
we are unable to boot the windows system. It looks like it is blue
screening immediately, since we never get a console connection. Are
there any instructions anywhere for moving VMs from one host
architecture to another?

Current Host:
Centos 5.3 i686 kernel 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5
Xen 3.0.3-80.el5_3.3

Destination Host:
Centos 5.3 x86_64 kernel 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5
Xen 3.0.3-80.el5_3.3