[CentOS-virt] Backing up a running KVM guest

Julian Price

centos.org at jul17pri.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 18:59:04 UTC 2009

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:22:43PM +0000, Julian Price wrote:
>
>> It has not been released yet and it's a first draft, so break it to me
>> gently...
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupKVMGuest
>>

> Interesting read. One other alternative, with drbd:
>   1) break sync on other node
>   2) backup on other node
>   3) resync other node
>
> Of course, drbd may not be best suited for disk intensive uses but your
> milleage may vary...
>
> Rui

drdb - If I understand right, this is another way to take a snapshot -
similar to taking one disk out of a RAID1, backing it up then rebuilding
the RAID. The LVM snapshot requires space and degrades performance
during the backup and your method suffers neither of those disadvantages.

Thanks for the suggestion.